We are all looking for ways to cut down on spending and save money. At Walsh Consulting & Electrical Services of Tallahassee, we want to do our part and offer some ideas about how you can decrease your costs when it comes to your electrical bill.
- Appliances: As your appliances need replacing, opt for the energy efficient ones including dishwashers (the older ones require more energy to heat the water). The new model high efficiency refrigerators use less electricity than a light bulb.
- Unplug: When you are not using appliances such as coffee machines, toasters, and even phone chargers, unplugging them will help decrease your electric bill.
- Insulation: if it isn’t already, have you attic insulation increased to about 12 inches; this can reduce electricity consumption by up to 20 percent.
- Thermostat: For optimal efficiency, transition the thermostat to 78 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter. Additionally, you can adjust your thermostat when you are away from home. Programmable thermostats are very convenient for this.
- Energy Audit: This can be very enlightening. You will learn how you are using (and wasting) energy. From here, you can create a plan to use energy more efficiently.
- Shower Head: Using a water-saving shower head cuts down the amount of hot water that is used which results in less energy used.
- Light Bulbs: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). They use 75% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 times longer.
- Plant Trees: Trees around the house provide shade that will help keep the house cool in the summer.
One other important thing to keep in mind is that all these things will also help conserve energy. This is a responsible action on your part. By incorporating the above suggestions into your home and life, you will see a decrease in your energy bill.